Sunday, January 25, 2009

Kiddie Lit 101

We have quite the collection of fun children's literature around our house. As I read through some of the more recent acquisitions, I am reminded that I should write and illustrate some children's books of my own. I've had numerous ideas over the years but have just never gotten around to the actual task. Children's Literature was actually one of my more favorite college classes.

One book we received from a lovely auntie at Christmas was called Rude Ramsay and the Roaring Radishes by Margaret Atwood. As you might guess, it is an alliterative story. It begins: "Rude Ramsay resided in a ramshackle rectangular residence with a roof garden, a root cellar, and a revolving door." He lives with his "revolting relatives" and has to eat a "repulsive repast" from which he "rebels every Friday." One of my personal favorite lines is, "Your request is my resolve." (I shall have to find an occasion soon to use this phrase.) This book is especially fun to read aloud, but beware, it is on the long side.

Another book we have on loan from our local library. It is Twenty-Odd Ducks Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts! by Lynne Truss, who describes herself as "constantly tempted to correct punctuation on signs, advertisements, movie posters and more." (I know the feeling, and so do some of you...you know who you are.) The kids really loved this book and could easily recognize what was being taught. For all my literate friends, you may also find the final few pages to be rather amusing.

"Dear Teacher,
We want a teacher who knows what punctuation is all about. You are clever. People who are not like you admit to being horrible at grammar. You have ruined us for all other teachers. We will do our best for you. We stare out the window whenever you're not around. We feel so lucky. This is meant to be.
Love, Tom and Becky"

"Dear Teacher,
We want a teacher who knows what punctuation is. All about you are clever people who are not like you. Admit to being horrible at grammar. You have ruined us. For all other teachers we will do our best; for you, we stare out the window. Whenever you're not around we feel so lucky. This is meant to be love? Tom and Becky"

I went to this author's website (www.eatsshootsandleaves.com) and discovered that she has written several other books along the same lines which we will need to check out.

PS to lovely auntie: If you are reading this, let us know if you come across any more books like these. We are always interested and you have very discriminating taste.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have seen the movie entitled "The Princess Bride." Wesley, the hero of the story always says to the heroine when she makes a request: "As you wish." So perhaps you could equate "Your request is my resolve" with "As you wish!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be one of my favorite movies...if I had favorites of anything.

    ReplyDelete