Thursday, July 10, 2008

Have You Had Your U.S.R.D.A....

I am always being asked, “Mom, how many of these can we have?” I answer with another question, “What is the serving size on the side of the box?” After they check, they usually want to know, “Is that the adult serving size or the kid serving size?” Then I make the judgment. Sometimes it requires a bit more information like the amount of sugar or fat in the serving size. Suffice to say; the kids around here know how to read the nutritional information on packaged foods. Eventually, I hope this helps them to make good decisions for themselves

They especially love to read the nutritional information on cereal boxes as they eat their breakfast. They like to compare the facts with each other. One will call out, “Calories from Fat, zero grams, zero percent.” Another one calls out, “Point five grams, two percent.” Then the third gives his/her cereal’s amounts and they begin with the next item on the list. They need to know who is eating the most nutritious breakfast.

It is interesting to me that they can pronounce some of those harder words like, “magnesium,” “carbohydrate” and “polyunsaturated.” Recently, as I listened to one of these exchanges, Heather called out a most interesting ingredient: “Robinflavor, twenty-five percent.” I guess I need to check the labels better before I buy things!

No comments:

Post a Comment